Gutter Cleaning for Mosquito Control
Mosquitos are rampant in the summer, and they’re much more than a nuisance. Mosquitos carry deadly diseases that could put your family at risk. Citronella candles and bug sprays aren’t the only ways to get rid of mosquitos. You could deter them just by having clean gutters. Read on to learn about gutter cleaning for mosquito control.
How Gutter Cleaning Impacts Mosquito Control
Mosquitos breed in standing water. Clogged gutters typically have pools of water in between rainstorms. This is the perfect place for mosquitos to thrive. By cleaning out your gutters and allowing water to freely flow through them, you can drastically reduce your risk of mosquitos.
How Often Should I Clean My Gutters?
Gutter cleaning should happen at least twice per year: once before fall and once at the end of autumn. However, some gutters need more frequent cleaning than that. If you have older gutters that are prone to clogging, you may need to clean them every few months. If you can see debris at the top of the gutters or you’ve noticed water is not draining out, it’s probably time to clean them.
Frequent Clogging and Mosquitos Could Be a Sign You Need New Gutters
If it feels like you constantly have to clean your gutters, it may be time to replace them. Seamless gutters and downspouts are designed to prevent clogging, and they look better than traditional jointed gutters. Your current guttering might be sagging in certain areas, or the downspouts may be clogged from years without cleaning. New gutters will eliminate these issues and boost the curb appeal on your home.
Protect Your Gutters with Gutter Guards
Gutter guards shield gutters from debris. The water rolls through the mesh, but the leaves stay above the gutters. Not only will this cut down on the amount of cleaning you have to do, but it will also keep mosquitos from breeding in your gutters. Reach out to Sargent Gutters & Siding to schedule a free quote for gutter guard installation.
Other Ways to Keep Mosquitos Away
In addition to gutter cleaning for mosquito control, you can use these tricks to keep pests to a minimum:
- Clean out anything in the yard that may contain stagnant water. Kid’s toys, fountains, buckets, lawn ornaments, or anything that could potentially hold water after it rains. Dump the water out to prevent mosquitos from breeding.
- Keep water moving in pools, ponds and features. If you have a bowl of water outside for pets, put a fountain pump in it to circulate the water.
- Choose plants that naturally deter mosquitos. Lavender, marigolds, rosemary, basil and even catnip all have mosquito-repelling properties. You could also use cedar mulch granules in your yard to repel mosquitos, fleas, ticks and other pests.
- Note where the mosquitos are most active. If you cannot find the source of the mosquitos, you may at least learn which areas of the yard to avoid.
- Use bug repellent for extra protection, or have your yard sprayed for mosquitos. You could use mosquito lamps in your entertainment areas, but those tend to be less effective than professional treatments.
To schedule gutter cleaning for mosquito control, contact Sargent Gutters & Siding at (800) 465-7460.